Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Re: Ethics, morality and the industry

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:14:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Mike Smith wrote:

<de-lurk>
The man committed crimes, was caught and convicted, and served the time awarded
by various governments.  From what I read, he has been clean for a quarter of a
century.  Indeed, he has helped police authorities fight criminal activities
such as he once engaged in.

I guess the issue is how long does it take before one accepts that a convicted
person has truly reformed?  If the answer is "forever," then what is the point
in ever letting him out of jail?  Can criminals never acknowledge the error of
their ways and return to civilized society?  Can we not learn anything from
them?

To my mind the issue is that he's still *profiting* from  his crimes.
That doesn't do justice to the victims, nor does it send the right message
IMO.  Crime should not pay.

Here in Canada, for instance, a convicted person must serve his full sentence
and remain "of good conduct" for three to five years (depending on the offence)
afterwards, and then he can apply for a pardon, which sets aside his criminal
record (but does not destroy it; by the way, some offences, notably violent
ones, are not pardonable).  The thinking is that the person has "paid his debt
to society" and is entitled to a relatively unfettered attempt to contribute
once again.

I think that the fettering should include profiting from whatever badness
the person did- hey, if he was lecturing on IPv6 security, then I don't
see as much of an issue.

This is _not_ to suggest that I approve of hiring self-proclaimed ex-hackers as
security professionals.  By and large, they have not "paid their debts."  There
is no evidence or behaviour that would lead you to conclude they have reformed
their ways.

Disclosure: I'm planning on attending the CSI conference (if upper management
approves the travel request).

<lurk>

I hope that in the future, CSI chooses its keynote speakers more
carefully.

Paul