Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Sources for Extranet Designs?

From: Frederick M Avolio <fred () avolio com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 13:59:23 -0500

At 11:35 AM 2/23/2004 -0600, Behm, Jeffrey L. wrote:
>Never grant access to your production network or resources

I was ok up until that last one...

What's the point of connecting them up, if they don't get access to anything
(isn't stuff in the DMZ *production*? Perhaps you meant
"Never grant access to your *internal* production network or resources?"

Maybe Wes misspoke, or maybe he was subtly brilliant. (And I'll allow for *both* possibilities. :-)) Remember the Old Magic from the Early Times? That which is not expressly permitted...? Minimalism? (http://www.avolio.com/papers/7tenets.html) How about we start with "Never grant..." and then start adding the specific systems and services for which access is required? Brilliant, Wes!

Fred