Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Sources for Extranet Designs?

From: Paul Robertson <proberts () patriot net>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 09:53:28 -0500 (EST)

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004, Baumann, Sean C. wrote:

I wasn't particularly looking for a solution, or product.  I was looking
for a comprehensive discussion on network and security architectures for
extranets (B2B), not necessarily available on the web (print is
acceptable).  Instead, I got a plethora of condescending email replies

See, even now, you've started to define things (B2B)-

That's important because some folks define extranets as employee to
business, non-VPN resources, for example.

Now, if we could narrow it down more, or get more into what exactly you're
looking for, we could possibly provide some info...

Do you mean "B2B resources isolated from the internal network," or "B2B
connctions from one enterprise to the internal network of another
enterprise," or "Any possible instantiation of a B2B connection?"

that gave me little or no information, which did not answer my (probably
not well written) question.  I'll make sure I am more specific in the
future, so I don't get bombarded with "Didn't you google," or "Didn't
they teach you that in _____."

My reply wasn't meant to be condescending, so if it was seen as such, I'm
sorry.  As I pointed out, terms like "extranet" are too nebulous to really
figure out what the question is.  Questions like "What sort of
architectures do people use to..." are fine in my book, but it needs to be
clear that it's not just a rote "can you do my homework" question (most of
those don't make it t the list, but we get enough of them.)

Given the recent worm stuff, people should be concerned about B2B
connections, so it's a valid question, but it helps to frame the question
more in terms of either a specific, or in the case of a generic quesion,
in terms of why you're asking and an idea that you're already aware of hte
general status quo.

Paul