Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Off topic: Any one know of a good IPV6 reference book?

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2003 19:04:12 -0400

Irwin Lazar wrote:
IPv6 would allow for a restoration of true end-to-end computing instead of requiring complex gateways, proxies, and
NAT devices

IPV6 is insane overcomplexity if that was the only problems we
wanted to solve. We could have doubled the address size of V4,
bumped the version number, and left-filled from zero. As far as the
"route glut" problems that stimulated the original design of IPV6,
we could have used conventions (e.g. something like CIDR addressing
which hadn't been thought of when the V6 effort started) that could
easily have solved those issues.

Basically, the standards pukes are having fun playing their little
games but none of it's really going to solve real problems. IPV6
is gonna be like ISO protocols all over again: what if they gave
a protocol and nobody came?

mjr.