Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Off topic: Any one know of a good IPV6 reference book?

From: Christopher Hicks <chicks () chicks net>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 07:53:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Joseph S D Yao wrote:
And the US DOD seems to be spear-heading this particular revolution, eh?
[No, you do NOT have to remind me of OSI networking and ADA.  ;-)]

Oh no.  I wasn't going to remind you of OSI networking, but certainly
remember ADA and one of the DOD big successes at popularizing technology -
COBOL.  The DOD didn't manage to turn the world into a bunch of ADA
programmers.  (C'est la vie.)  But Grace Hopper (who in my experience is
well respected in the hacker community) was one of the "leading lights" on
the committee to create an interim langauge for doing DOD software
development that ended up producing COBOL.  When the DOD succeeds they
succeed big and it can surprise technology advocates and international
petty tyrants, but that's getting even too OT for this list....

Of course since COBOL was the "short term" solution it may roughly
analgoize to IP4 and ADA would then be IP6 making mjr and the happy band
of IP6 curmugeons happy with their predictions.  But personally I suspect
despite my amusing analogies that we'll eventually all be running IPV6.
It's just a matter of time.  OF course I've said the same thing for the
last 15 years about switching from vi to emacs, and now I have vim.  I
still don't use emacs.  It's a good thing this is a moderated list or I'd
have to feel guilty about making emacs out to be as dead as IPV6.... oops,
did I just say that?  :)  Feel free to flame me directly if you're not
amused.

--
</chris>

The death of democracy is not likely to be an assassination from ambush. It
will be a slow extinction from apathy, indifference, and undernourishment.
-Robert Maynard Hutchins, educator (1899-1977)