Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Off topic: Any one know of a good IPV6 reference book?

From: Joseph S D Yao <jsdy () center osis gov>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:22:37 -0400

On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 04:24:18PM -0400, George Jones wrote:
Seriously, I'm in the lucky position of designing a new core for a
rather large entity using all new equipment and building it out in
parallel to the existing...why not look into IPv6?

Avoid needless complexity ?  No requirements ?  No real
problems solved ?

Look into it, sure, but having a hammer does not make
every problem into a nail, nor does it make the hammer
the right solution for all problems.

OTOH, if there is any feeling that IPv6 WILL happen - and I know that
many whom I respect, including Marcus Ranum and Mike O'Dell, are not at
all sure about this - then it makes sense to start laying the ground
for it, rather than sticking to things that will be obsolete when the
revolution comes.  And the US DOD seems to be spear-heading this
particular revolution, eh?  [No, you do NOT have to remind me of OSI
networking and ADA.  ;-)]

--
Joe Yao                         jsdy () center osis gov - Joseph S. D. Yao
OSIS Center Systems Support                                     EMT-B