Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Statistics for Firewalls

From: John Adams <jna-dated-1032203522.6b0d21 () retina net>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:11:59 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Joe Matusiewicz wrote:

At 02:54 PM 9/11/02, John Adams wrote:

I had similiar problems with ntop. What I usually do is to filter out of
the traffic I deem useless with a tcpdump expression.

For example, do you really need to know every DNS connection? Hell no,
filter that. Filter NNTP. Filter all SMTP that isn't bound for your main
mail server. Filter out NetBIOS.

Actually, that wasn't an option.  At the time I was most interested in
bandwidth usage to decide on whether to get a bigger pipe.  I needed to see
the whole picture.

Ahh, I suppose MRTG didn't work out for you, then? It's a much better tool
for the job, but I bet you've already been told that. :)

-john

--
J. Adams                                        http://www.retina.net/~jna

Fiber line / Shine, Enlight the Globe / In Light, communicate / Connect.
        ~~ Lassigue Bendthaus - Fiber