Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Statistics for Firewalls

From: "Bill Royds" <broyds () rogers com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 19:46:59 -0400

It is very nice until the traffic gets a bit to much and then it tends to fall over. It is best running on a dedicated
machine with big memory and fast processor. It does not use much disk space though.
There have also been some security problems with it in the past but not lately.
I have used it to monitor traffic inside a DMZ to  help design upgrades.
The To/From/port matrix is very nice to show that we needed to set up a back network for NFS/SMB for instance.
Having simple 10mbit hub used for back channel traffic saved a network upgrade and it was more secure.