Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Leader in firewall product

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () nfr net>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 13:18:55 -0400

Eh?  Gauntlet is less secure than everything mentioned so far?

Like everything else, Gauntlet had its share of flaws.

Would you be so kind as to explain exactly why you feel this to be the
case?  IIRC: once-upon-a-time, Gauntlet was regarded by many as being
the *most* robust of firewall products, security-wise.

The design was conservative and (in my opinion) pretty decent. But
there were a few implementation flaws and conceptual flaws, as well.
We added proxy transparency in 3.0, and at that point I felt that
the security of the system took a big leap downward - when you've
got a firewall that's basically transparent to the end user, it's
also basically transparent to a trojan horse. I always hated that
but it was market pressure. Nobody was buying non-transparent
firewalls; nobody would, today.

There were two components of the firewall proxies that desperately
needed a code review and never got one: the http proxy and the
X-Window proxy. They did a lot of complex string-pounding and would
have been a great breeding ground of buffer overruns, etc. In
those days, things like stack guard weren't available, and I
always wanted to figure out a way to harden the processes so they
couldn't be buffer overrun'd but never had time. :( There were
a lot of places in Gauntlet that could have used considerable
shoring up, but we were always overloaded and never had time to
get back to them.

mjr.
-----
Marcus J. Ranum
Chief Technology Officer, Network Flight Recorder, Inc.
Work:                  http://www.nfr.net
Personal:              http://www.ranum.com