Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Leader in firewall product

From: Rick Murphy <rmurphy () mitre org>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 15:19:07 -0400

At 10:27 AM 9/18/2000 +0200, =?iso-8859-2?Q?Magos=E1nyi_=C1rp=E1d?= wrote:
> > -Borderware
Borderware is just a hardened Gauntlet running on a hardened BSD.
(Okay, maybe it isnt gauntlet, but the feeling is the same).
It has an ST which claims it to be EAL4, but I cannot imagine
how could that ST got evaluated (not big issues, but I had
some formal problems with it). It seems really a secure one
for the old-type internet firewall usage, I say it from
experience. But do not hit it with big traffic.

Gauntlet was ITSEC evaluated at E3, which is roughly equivalent to EAL4.
As you may know, it's all in how much security the ST provides ;-)
There's lots of EAL3 firewalls around; some of them conform to the NSA firewall PP set, some don't.

The company that built Borderware was once a Gauntlet reseller - that may explain the similarities between Borderware and Gauntlet.
        -Rick