Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Plan9 (was Re: Firewall Throughput)

From: Christopher Nielsen <cnielsen () pobox com>
Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 12:23:28 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Patrick Darden wrote:

In addition, I have toured the facilities where the Pix was/is
developed, and talked to the key people involved (here in Athens).
That's why I have such a respect for the Pix and its future.

I've been working to set up a similar visit based on what I've heard about
the new developments for the PIX.

BTW, you provided an incorrect URL.  Here is what you meant to provide (I
believe):

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sys/doc/

Thanks for the correction. I'm not sure how the '.' became a '/' :-)

Let me quote you a bit of the docs you don't seem to have read:

An incorrect assumption.

"The early catch phrase was to build a UNIX out of a lot of little
systems, not a system out of a lot of little UNIXes...

The problems with UNIX were too deep to fix, but some of its ideas could
be brought along..."

Without the context of the rest of the paper, this does seem to support
your argument.

Sounds like a unix-based os to me.  Not unix, but undeniably unix-based.

That depends on your definition of 'UNIX-based'.

My definition of a UNIX-based OS is one that is primarily derived from
either the BSD or ATT code base or primarily uses UNIX's central ideas
with little modification or innovation. Operating systems that fall into
this category include (Free|Open|Net)BSD, Linux, Solaris, IRIX, HP-UX,
etc. I don't classify Plan9 in that list. Maybe I'm being too conservative
in my definition of 'UNIX-based'.

That said, this isn't the correct forum to be discussing this topic.

--
Christopher Nielsen
(enkhyl|cnielsen)@pobox.com