Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall Throughput

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 21:09:56 +1100 (EST)

In some email I received from Robert Purdy, sie wrote:
[...]
At least with closed code its going to take something more than a script
kiddie or someone with time on thier hands to break it.

What makes you say that ?  That the source code can't be obtained ?
Think again.  The only difference is it's not on known ftp/www servers.

I dunno, maybe I am off the beaten track, but I certainly prefer someone to
shout at when things turn to custard.  And strangly enough so do the people
that pay my fees.

That's a whole different ballgame and there are various companies around
now (Wasabi Systems, BSDI, Linuxcare, etc) who will quite happily charge
you for the priviledge of being able to pick up the phone and shout at
someone about some problem you have.

Darren