Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Firewall Throughput

From: "Robert Purdy" <liteyear () ihug co nz>
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 19:00:48 +1200

It seems that I am not everyone.  These days, (In New Zealand anyway), you
can get a 25Mb PIR with a 256K CIR Wireless link for cheaper than the
equalivent 2Meg/256K under the ground solution.

This holds great problems for those running firewalls, now instead of
sattlite sites pushing a max of 2Mb/s across a firewall port, they can
create up to 25Mb/s traffic each!  (Assuming you are Firewalling your
sattelite sites)

Throughput of firewalls is fast becoming an issue and I believe as time
wears on the likes of Checkpoint and Cisco are fast going to have to prove
thier claims.

Regards,
Rob Purdy