Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW-1 throughput question

From: Darren Reed <darrenr () reed wattle id au>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 02:45:01 +1000 (EST)

In some email I received from Dameon D. Welch-Abernathy, sie wrote:
On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 06:54:31PM +1000, Darren Reed wrote:

According to what I know, the kernel module does not take advantage of
multiple processors.

This is for FW-1 then ?  If so, then that's another reason to can FW-1
and use IP Filter instead :-)

But I didn't think the IP stack in Linux was SMP either (of course, FreeBSD
probably has addressed this problem :-)

What I knew was about 4.0. I do not know if 4.1 still holds true to that.
Someone who actually works at Check Point would have to answer that question.

As far as I know, 4.0 does not run on Linux or FreeBSD so I fail to see how
they are relevant here.

not, but take it for what it's worth. The Security Server processes *do*
take advantage of multiple processors (have since 4.0).

Err, what are you talking here - NT or Solaris ?

Both.

Far out.  At first you were saying FW-1 on Solaris was going to be slow
because of single threaded routing.  I get the distinct impression you
originally had no idea about whether this was true or not - I put it to
you that it is multi-threaded unless there is some global lock I missed.

As it is, FW-1 should *not* be routing packets itself, although it may
single thread filtering (does anyone have an _authorative_ answer ?).

Darren