Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW-1 throughput question

From: Aaron Turner <aturner () vicinity com>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2000 15:19:40 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 17 May 2000, Darren Reed wrote:

In some email I received from Dameon D. Welch-Abernathy, sie wrote:
On Tue, May 16, 2000 at 06:54:31PM +1000, Darren Reed wrote:

According to what I know, the kernel module does not take advantage of
multiple processors.

This is for FW-1 then ?  If so, then that's another reason to can FW-1
and use IP Filter instead :-)

But I didn't think the IP stack in Linux was SMP either (of course, FreeBSD
probably has addressed this problem :-)

What I knew was about 4.0. I do not know if 4.1 still holds true to that.
Someone who actually works at Check Point would have to answer that question.

As far as I know, 4.0 does not run on Linux or FreeBSD so I fail to see how
they are relevant here.

You said it was a reason to use IPFilter on Linux- which has a single
threaded IP stack.

not, but take it for what it's worth. The Security Server processes *do*
take advantage of multiple processors (have since 4.0).

Err, what are you talking here - NT or Solaris ?

Both.

Far out.  At first you were saying FW-1 on Solaris was going to be slow
because of single threaded routing.

Neither Dameon or I said that.  I said that routing on Solaris has a
scalability problem that can't be solved by adding additional CPU's.
Solaris's routing is actually quite fast for a "software router".

I get the distinct impression you
originally had no idea about whether this was true or not - I put it to
you that it is multi-threaded unless there is some global lock I missed.

I think you're getting Dameon confused with me.  He never said the Solaris
kernel routing engine is single threaded- I did.  I honestly don't care if
you believe me to be correct or not.  You're not paying me for my opinion.
Go call Sun, read SunSolve, or read the Solaris source code if you're so
itchy to find out.

As it is, FW-1 should *not* be routing packets itself, although it may
single thread filtering (does anyone have an _authorative_ answer ?).

I've asked Checkpoint.  So far they haven't been able to tell me either
way if 4.1's inspection engine is multi-threaded or not.

--
Aaron Turner        aturner () vicinity com  650.237.0300 x252
Security Engineer                         Vicinity Corp.