Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NAI Guantlet "Best of Show Award" The Real Deal

From: Frederick M Avolio <fred () avolio com>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 14:54:37 -0500

I'd love to understand it better, but am finding it frustrating to
"discuss" it on this list with people who haven't read the whitepaper.

It never did look to me like reworking of other companies' old
philosophies, whatever that means, Andy (:-)). Seems like something some of
us have been asking for for quite a while: security mechanisms added in
series rather than in  parallel with the proxy mechanism still in control.
This is not what Raptor does, as far as I can tell from talking to them,
and it is certainly not the same thing as what FW-1 and PIX do with adding
proxies to their firewalls, as far as I can tell. I am looking for any
technical writeup that talks about this supposed old, already done
technology by any other vendor. No one has come forth with anything yet.

Fred

Whats the deal with this adaptive proxies anyway? As others have
mentioned, it looks like the reworking of other companies old
philosophies in some respects. Anyone have details on what makes the TIS
adaptive proxies unique enough to patent?