Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NAI Guantlet "Best of Show Award" The Real Deal

From: Christopher Nicholls <chrisn () softway com au>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 18:02:22 +1100

At 06:43 PM 09/11/98 -0500, Waszak, Tom wrote:
*Note:  I do not work for any security product vendors.  Also note that
these are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of my
employer Xerox Connect*

The LAN Times and Data Communications sponsored "Best of Show Networld +
Interop '98"  has been a major marketing coup for NAI.  If you read their
press release (http://www.nai.com/about/news/press/1998/october/102898.asp
<http://www.nai.com/about/news/press/1998/october/102898.asp>  ) it would
lead you to believe that they actually won the Best of Show Award in the
"Network Security and IP Tools" category.  It is nothing more than a
wonderful example of creative writing and word play.
<SNIP>

Ummm... me thinks you are overeacting a shade... The comment on NAI's own
Web-site was:

"Network Associates, Inc. (Nasdaq: NETA) today announced that its Gauntlet
Firewall was honored in the prestigious 1998 Best of Show awards at last
week's NetWorld+Interop show in Atlanta. Gauntlet Firewall, widely
respected as the industry’s most secure firewall, was honored as
Best-of-Show finalist in the Network Security and Performance category."

That sounds pretty harmless to me... and as a finalist in the competition,
the new Gauntlet obviously won some votes...

I have contact with all the major firewall vendors.  All are prone to slight
exaggeration about their products.  It's the nature of the business.
However, I have noticed that NAI has developed a pattern that really makes
me wonder whether or not they....well I won't say...draw your own
conclusions.  I will say this:  Integrity is important in any vendor
relationship.  I need to know that the people I talk to are telling me the
truth and can call a spade a spade.  If a vendor can't do that I don't want
to deal with him or her.  Hmmm...I wonder how many NAI product
recommendations I'll make in the future?

So you as a professional, senior consultant in IT security will make
decisions based upon whether or not a vendor uses hyperbole or not when
describing the success of it's products?

Here's something you could do if your really bored...call your local NAI rep
and ask them if Gauntlet won best of show.

You really don't like NAI, do you?

Personally I believe that regardless of marketese, good products are
fundamentally good products regardless of the marketing ability or
inability of the vendor. The real important people are the engineers and
technical directors who make the products in the first place - forget the
hyperbole and let's take a look at the technology.

Kind regards

Christopher
Christopher A. Nicholls
Softway Pty Ltd  ACN: 002 726 641
Canberra Branch Office: Suite 1.3, Dickson Park Professional Centre
151 Cowper Street, Dickson  ACT  2602
PO Box 923,  Dickson  ACT  2602
Ph:    +61 2 6257 0666
Fax:  +61 2 6257 0665   E-mail: chrisn () softway com au
Mob: 0414 454 755       WWW:    http://www.softway.com.au