Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: NAI Guantlet "Best of Show Award" The Real Deal

From: Frederick M Avolio <fred () avolio com>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 05:37:10 -0500

the network layer.  And if given a choice, I think a higher level of
security is achieved for the session (in this scenerio) by forcing the
packets up and down the stack at the firewall.

I understand. I don't think you achieve more security. If anything, for
such services, it is neutral. So, I think the adaptive proxy, if it works
as described, is a significant addition to the arsenal.

More secure than filtering, stateful or otherwise, possibly more secure
than the Fastpath (or possibly the same), and faster than a proxy alone. It
is not just performance, but performance with security. I think that is
where I disagree with you.

So, net result, I believe GAP and RFF are similar, and do provide, when
used, a higher degree of security than SPF, but with the same level of
performance and we at AXENT are pleased to see that another vendor has
followed our lead, a few months behind the curve :-))))

:-) Now you're sounding like one of the other vendors, but I like you and
Raptor anyway.

Fred