Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking URLs

From: Ricardo Fitipaldi <rfitipal () MAIL SDSU EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 09:59:17 -0700

If you run your own DNS servers then RPZ may help a bit, however your can't
block full url.

RF
*Ricardo Fitipaldi, *Security Analyst
San Diego State University
☎: 619-594-0099
http://security.sdsu.edu

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 9:46 AM, Chris Green <CGreen () uttyler edu> wrote:

All,

We are looking for a cost effective solution to prevent users from
accessing sites when they fall for phishing attempts. Right now we are
blocking IPs for those sites in our firewall, but this is not a great
solution for us as we don’t want to load up our firewall with these types
of rules, and the majority of these sites use dynamic IPs, so it’s a
temporary fix at best.

I wanted to see if anyone had come up with a solution for this dilemma
that doesn’t involve dropping six figures on an application firewall.

Thanks,

-C.

*Chris Green*

Information Security Officer