Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Blocking URLs

From: Chris Green <CGreen () UTTYLER EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 16:46:45 +0000

All,

We are looking for a cost effective solution to prevent users from accessing sites when they fall for phishing
attempts. Right now we are blocking IPs for those sites in our firewall, but this is not a great solution for us as we
don't want to load up our firewall with these types of rules, and the majority of these sites use dynamic IPs, so it's
a temporary fix at best.

I wanted to see if anyone had come up with a solution for this dilemma that doesn't involve dropping six figures on an
application firewall.

Thanks,

-C.

Chris Green