Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking URLs

From: Robert Lau <Robert.Lau () USC EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2015 17:47:01 +0000

We see many phishing sites hosted at Google, Qualtrics, Wix, etc. Layer 3 blocks simply do not work for them or cause
significant collateral damage. Plus, blocking at our border, or using OpenDNS, does not protect people reading email on
random, unmanaged devices outside our network.

Any day now, we will be enabling TAP on our Proofpoint mail gateways. TAP will rewrite all (or possibly only suspicious
URLs) found in email and will protect everybody who uses our mail systems. Known bad URLs are automatically blocked. If
at some later date we discover that a URL is bad, we can block it and see who had clicked on it. Or at least that's
what's supposed to happen. We shall see.

Robert Lau
Director, Information Systems Security
Information Technology Services
University of Southern California