Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking URLs

From: "Shamblin, Quinn" <qrs () BU EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 2015 13:10:41 +0000

Melissa Muth and Josh Beeman of University of Pennsylvania have had great success creating an DNS sinkhole.  Melissa
developed it for UPenn and presented on it at a regional security conference in Dartmouth earlier this year.  They took
and opt-in approach and, even so, report a 97% drop in compromised machines.  We have invited her to present at the
annual Boston University Security Camp (another regional mini-conference to be held next week) as well and will make
the presentation available afterward.

Best,

Quinn R Shamblin                                                  .
Executive Director of Information Security, Boston University