Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: quick poll please.. unauthenticated wireless

From: Sam Hooker <samuel.hooker () UVM EDU>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 09:31:22 -0400

On 20100420 15:25 , Barros, Jacob wrote:
Do you offer unauthenticated wireless for conference facilities?
No. We, too, were concerned about attribution when responding to abuse
complaints, and use a homegrown captive portal with affiliate-sponsored
accounts. Account creation is open to the whole student/faculty/staff
community, and is self-service.

Details here: http://www.uvm.edu/ets/wireless/?Page=guestnet.html

Is that wireless encrypted?
No. We'd ought to be more proactive about encouraging clients to use
end-to-end encryption, but caveat visitor.

Is it a completely separate network / just internet access only?
Different SSID, different DHCP service and firewall; connects to our
main network at the border, and is treated as off-world traffic.

Cheers,

-sth

--
Sam Hooker | samuel.hooker () uvm edu