Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: quick poll please.. unauthenticated wireless

From: "Parker, Ron" <Ron.Parker () BRAZOSPORT EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 16:00:37 -0500

In answer to your questions: 1) We don't allow any unauthenticated access, anywhere, including our conference
center/corporate training facility. 2) Not encrypted. Users are strongly encouraged to use their VPN client. 3) Same
network but some minor filtering between it and the main network based on user credentials.

If you are getting pushback from conference facility people, try the following argument: "Imagine this scenario. I get
a visit from the FBI about a child pornography problem coming from our network. Based on the information the FBI
provides to me, I try to track down this user and find that it was someone using the conference center wireless
network. Since the conference center provides unauthenticated wireless access, I have no way of knowing who was using
the IP address in question. That means that I will have to provide a list of everyone who attended your conference
events during the time period in question and the FBI will have to question them in order to figure out who engaged in
this illegal activity."

For our conference facility the compromise we reached was that they have a guest account that they can give to their
attendees. That account only works in the conference facility. The conference facility staff are responsible for
changing that password every week and controlling who gets it. It is not impossible for an outsider to get the password
but it is difficult. This is not our final solution but it is what we can do with the systems we have in place
currently. We are working on a better guest authentication model that will let them distribute individualized access
credentials when people sign up for events.

We have a different guest account for general college use. Again, you have to talk to a college employee in order to
get that password and it changes weekly.

--
Ron Parker, Director of Information Technology, Brazosport College
Voice: (979) 230-3480             FAX: (979) 230-3111