Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Preservation Letter

From: Matthew Keller <kellermg () POTSDAM EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 14:33:43 -0400

On Tue, 2007-05-15 at 12:51 -0500, Dick Jacobson wrote:
Not so clear is if we should identify the individual and notify the
individual that we received the notice.

We would, as a courtesy to our users.

One of the attorneys has suggested that the Preservation notice gives us
knowledge of the activity and we should treat it the same as a Takedown
notice.

I disagree. As others have said, the information in the p-note is
insufficient evidence of any real violation. How many people have gotten
p-notes and never heard anything after that about the alleged
infractions?

If your 'acceptable use policy' allows, you could, in theory, start
watching traffic from said systems after a p-note is received, and
possibly identify traffics which would then sufficiently allow you to
start internal 'takedown' procedures, but that too is... dicey, and I
wouldn't do or recommend it.

--
Matthew Keller
Information Security Officer & Network Administrator