Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: RIAA Preservation Letter

From: Ken Connelly <Ken.Connelly () UNI EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 13:11:50 -0500

Dick Jacobson wrote:
This just does not want to go away. 8-0
No, it gets worse.  http://www.campustechnology.com/articles/47988/

I have been asked to put together a procedure for responding to the
different notices from the copyright holders or their agents and to
find out what others are doing.  The discussions now are with the
attorneys (plural).

The Takedown notices and Pre-Litigation notices are not causing as
much conversation as the Preservation notice.

First, it is understood that we are under no obligation with regard to
these notices and will not alter our log retention practices from our
stated policy in order to accomodate the notice.

Not so clear is if we should identify the individual and notify the
individual that we received the notice.

One of the attorneys has suggested that the Preservation notice gives
us knowledge of the activity and we should treat it the same as a
Takedown notice.

I am interested in both your thoughts and your stated process for these.
We have decided that we will relay both pre-litigation letters and
preservation notices to the individual responsible for the machine in
question.  If either meet the legal elements of a DMCA notice, we will
also treat it as such.  It is my understanding that the preservation
notices do not meet the legal elements and therefore would not be
considered to be a takedown notice.

Here's our statement:  http://www.uni.edu/its/admin/riaastatement.html

- ken

Dick Jacobson            e-mail : Dick.Jacobson () ndus NoDak edu
NDUS IT Security Officer    office : IACC 206, NDSU
ND HECN MultiUser Host SysAdd    phone  : 701-231-7385

--
- Ken
Ken Connelly             Associate Director, Security and Systems