Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: smtp redirection

From: Bruce Hudson <Bruce.Hudson () DAL CA>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 17:03:55 -0300

We are redirecting smtp traffic inbound to some campus mail servers via MX
records in our DNS to an anti-spam appliance (Bluecat Meridius) and find
some email circumvents the appliance apparently by using DNS IP lookup for
host resolution and not using MX records to send mail to mail servers on our
campus. The vendor recommends blocking inbound port 25 to the campus mail
servers from the internet. I favor this approach. However the mail folks are
concerned that some legitimate email may be dropped this way.

For those of you who redirect email to an anti-spam device; how are you
doing this redirection and how are you dealing with the spammers who
circumvent the MX record approach?

    I would say that for a central anti-spam system to work, an access list
that forces mail through it is absolutely required. Voluntary MX records
will fail because spammers just do not play by the rules.

    We used to add A records for our mail domains for years to take care of
the odd broken mailer that did not understand MX records. We stopped 6-7
years ago and I have not heard of any major problems. By definition, any
mail that ignores an MX for delivery is not legitimate. You can only support
broken software so far.

    For client mail that needs access to the internal servers we offer a
submission service that requires authentication on port 587 and a VPN that
will bring the client systems into the internal network.
--
Bruce A. Hudson                         | Bruce.Hudson () Dal CA
UCIS, Networks and Systems              |