Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: smtp redirection

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Tue, 10 May 2005 15:58:39 -0400

On Tue, 10 May 2005 15:46:03 EDT, "Flagg, Martin D." said:

We have set-up a anti-spam wall and use MX records to direct traffic to
it.  I have not yet blocked SMTP mainly because of our POP/IMAP users
that need SMTP.  How has everyone dealt with this issue?

If you mean "off-campus users need an SMTP server to submit mail", the
canonical answer is "SMTP AUTH on port 587".  That's what it's *there* for,
so users can submit mail even when port 25 is blocked.