Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: InfraGard

From: Joe St Sauver <JOE () OREGON UOREGON EDU>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:48:42 -0800

Hi Rodney,

#I have been wondering if InfraGard (http://www.infragard.net/) is
#continuing to thrive in local areas since the creation of the new
#Department of Homeland Security and the reorganization of key federal
#government departments.  I know that my local chapter in Maryland
#(http://www.mdinfragard.net/) continues to hold regular meetings and
#provides interesting programs.

Likewise for the Oregon's Infraguard.

#I am especially interested to learn if anyone on this list is active in
#their local chapter or perhaps serves in a leadership role - such as
#president or member of the board.  The program committee for the
#Security Professionals Conference
#(www.educause.edu/conference/security/2004) is planning to schedule a
#session on InfraGard so we are looking for a quick status report
#regarding its usefulness for colleges and universities.

The one issue I would mention with respect to Infraguard is that it
touches so many industries and segments that sometimes, naturally,
meetings will cover a sector that isn't directly relevant to IT systems
or network security (since that *IS* only a small part of the nation's
critical infrastructure). Folks should thus be wary of attending
general Infraguard meetings with an expectation that they'll always
be hearing about IT security stuff -- many times you won't. You may
hear about progress hardening energy facilities or an industrial
site's security policies, or get a general briefing on terrorism or
WDM threats, or coverage of other topics, instead. It's all useful
and interesting, but it is different than getting a highly specialized
technical report on one specific threat.

Likewise, because the audience tends to be heterogeneous (suits and
hands-on folks, industry/academia/law enforcement/industry), and the
meetings are open (e.g., you don't really know if you're dealing
with a 100% white-hat audience), presentations tend toward being
aimed at a fairly general audience with a level of specificity
appropriate to a mixed group of "walk-ins."

Having said that, I'd still encourage folks to attend. You will make
useful contact with at least some direct counterparts at other sites
and with local and regional law enforcement representatives, and it
will give you an appreciation for the full range of threats law
enforcement is trying to juggle, deter, investigate and prosecute.

In at least some cases, you may also see emergence of specialized subgroups
designed to focus more closely on a particular area (such as system and
network security). For example in Portland, Oregon, there's a group called
C.R.I.M.E. (Computer Related Investigations Management & Education)
"dedicated to combining Law Enforcement, High-Tech Industry, and
Academic resources" to "Conduct high-tech training and foster networking
among members in areas of computer-related investigations, security,
and education." See: http://crime.whiteknighthackers.com/

For folks who have a narrow focus on just one sector, such as computer
and network security, a tailored organization like that one may be a
closer fit to their interests.

Regards,

Joe