Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Bagle.j out

From: Jack Suess <jack () UMBC EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 06:46:43 -0500

What I will probably look at following the suggestion in the
Educuause/Internet2 Effective Security Practices Guide

http://www.educause.edu/security/guide/VirusandIntrusionDetection.asp

and require my mail administrators to rename .exe and .zip attachments to
something that can't be auto-opened. This allows people to still transport
these but they have to go through a extra step of saving these as a
different name and opening the application to read these. Usually those
steps provide the "thinking pause" necessary to realize what is legit or
not.

Using the Effective Practices guide in this way helps provide additional
credibility for changes such as this.

bradley, As i read your message I can envision going to my president and
saying that in the "name of security" we should be replacing all the
computers with SunRay's and eliminating email attachments. I can trumphet
the security enhancements but the reality is institutional productivity
would go down dramatically (though I think SunRay type devices have many
great applications). Is this what we want? I fear when people in IT
propose radical changes that are primarily for OUR benefit we lose
credibility with the campus and they stop listening to us, even for more
reasonable requests.

IT Leaders in higher education need to bring credibility to the table that
they understand and support the mission of the campus -- supporting
teaching and scholarship while providing the underlying functions to run
the business of the university. I feel taking draconian steps, crippling
the MUA, banning binary/encrypted files, or blocking attachments
essentially mean we've given up and allowed the virus writers to win. I'm
going to end on a positive note:

* I've seen a huge jump in user awareness. Most people were very
suspicious and didn't trust this message. That is a positive sign

* Our security team got word out quickly to the campus -- response and
handling on our campus has gotten alot better and I sense the same for
many other schools  as well.

jack suess, CIO, UMBC