Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Bagle.j out

From: Kevin Shalla <kshalla () UIC EDU>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:45:10 -0600

It's no wonder users do this - think of your standard software installation
- put in the CD, then press the "I agree" button, then "next" a bunch of
times.  Our email clients warn us when we're about to open an attachment,
but we're sent so many legitimate ones, this warning has turned to
noise.  We have so many warnings built-in to software that we've become
accustomed to ignoring them all.  It will be a hard sell to eliminate all
attachments, but it will have to be done at some time in the future.  The
vendor response of giving warnings is no help, because we've already got so
many warnings that it is all becoming noise.  Because we haven't developed
more convenient ways of transferring / sharing files, people send them
through email - which is easy for legitimate users, but unfortunately is
also easy for bad guys.  I think we need more convenient ways of composing
nicely formatted messages in file formats which do not allow attachments
(html might be the way).