Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Hackers and Painters

From: "Halvar Flake" <HalVar () gmx de>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 01:47:59 +0200 (MEST)

Just to turn this mailing list into "static typing or not" :-)

But that's not how any of the hackers I know write programs. We need a
language that lets us scribble and smudge and smear, not a language where
you have to sit with a teacup of types balanced on your knee and make
polite conversation with a strict old aunt of a compiler.

A slight objection here: At least in my case, after smudging, smearing,
erasing, and generally scribbling 250 lines where there could be one,
there is usually the final step: "Clean-up", which means taking a big
eraser and the ink brush to choose the right line out of the 250 you've
made.

There is always a pre-painting sketch. Or ten.

Cheers,
Halvar

http://www.paulgraham.com/hp.html

For those of you, like me, who havent read this essay so far, please do
so! words of wisdom in its most elegant form ...

cheers,
Sinan

--
+++ GMX DSL Premiumtarife 3 Monate gratis* + WLAN-Router 0,- EUR* +++
Clevere DSL-Nutzer wechseln jetzt zu GMX: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl