Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Hackers and Painters

From: Sinan Eren <sinan.eren () immunitysec com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 19:20:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Halvar Flake wrote:

Computer folks not only have math envy, we also have art envy. :-)

agreed. especially if you're married to an art major! ;)

We want to define code as art, and take as justification that poetry
is an expression of thought and art, and as such, code, which is an
expression of thought, is art as well.

Most poetry, though, is not art, just bad poetry. And there we arrive
at the issue that all the artists are fighting over: What is art ?

i would disagree with this. poetry is like vinyl comes with several rpm
speeds, like 33, 45, 85 (old stuff) ... requiring the proper record
player (or the functionality) which in this context would translate to the
era you live in. "bad poetry" by time might start to sound/feel "good" when
our understanding is capable of its rpm.

Frankly, I have decided not to care. And after wasting two days on
some obscure graph stuff and killing some Merlot in front of a large
bit of code tonight, I think that is a darn good decision.

in my belief, forget not caring, the question of "what is art?" is
not even _valid_. again, time and dialectic should rule out the sanity of
this question.

I don't care if code is art. I don't care if code is math. I like code,
and I like to code. Can't we just settle for "coders" instead of
"artists", "makers", "scientists" or whatever else ?

agreed. also there is no harm in calling what we do more handsome names ;)

cheers,
Sinan