Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Hackers and Painters

From: Matt Hargett <matt () use net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 08:53:15 +0000

ken_i_m () fatair net wrote:
I mean, I have been writing since I was 13 ... I think a lot of
artists, once you in the flow, in the zone, go on marathon sessions.
Once you're there you don't want to stop because it is so
self-nurturing, i.e. the positive feedback loops keep ramping up. It
short-circuits lesser needs and pleasures including eating.

I used to do this, but I learned to stop for health reasons.

This latter point is why I keep my guitars handy.  If I am flailing at a
solution I'll step over and play a few chords and let my brain give me
the answer in its own time.

I do this also. This is also why I find art galleries, concerts, and film festivals handy as well. I've had fantastic revelations while looking at sculpture, especially, for some reason.