Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Hackers and Painters

From: Richard Thieme <rthieme () thiemeworks com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 09:20:55 -0500

hmm... the question I would ask is whether or not it is possible to do robust coding without being obsessive compulsive?

I mean, I have been writing since I was 13 ... I think a lot of artists, once you in the flow, in the zone, go on
marathon sessions. Once you're there you don't want to stop because it is so self-nurturing, i.e. the positive feedback
loops keep ramping up. It short-circuits lesser needs and pleasures including eating.

that's not an addiciton tho. an addiction tho is an obesssive attachment to something that delivers less and less, not
more and more, the more you use it or do it. Alcoholics need more and more alcohol  because of tolerance. But coders
don't need more and more coding sessions, not in that way, right?

Lots of things can become obsessive but that doesn't seem to address the intrinsic value of what one's doing. Coding it
seems to me is a creative activity and therefore can have lots of things in common with other creative activities. And
it can be obsessive which gives it things in common with anything that is obsessive. But the essence of it is not the
obessivness ... is it? It's more the crativity and the incredible pleasure that comes when that part of the brain is
functioning at peak?

I think it's like the state of "flow" that guy at the U of Chicago described in his book as the self-forgetting
activity in which you become immersed and he found it characterized architects, rock climbers, whatever. When you blend
with the output of your brimming brain and lose yourself in the activity and find it the most fulfilling thing in the
world at the same time.

I mean, I *know* when that part of the brian is engaged, and I never want it to stop. Maybe it's the mouse pushing the
pleasure-center button again and again after all, I don't know ...

RT