Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Compromised email account?

From: Tariq Naik <Tariq_Naik () symantec com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 23:00:50 -0800

Hi,

It could be one of the following four reason and you need to look at the header to find out.

1...If the bounced mail origin is from your service provider SMTP, your machine is most probably infected as SMTP
worm/Bot can make use of APIs on your machine to send email to propagate or spam or launch a DoS attack. In this case
you first need to clean your machine using AV.

2...If the bounced mail origin is from another ISP SMTP then it might be that a SMTP worm/Bot on someone else's machine
is spoofing your email address to propagate or spam or launch a DoS attack. In such a case you cannot do much. Your ISP
needs to deploy countermeasures on their SMTP server to prevent such bounced messages from reaching you.

3...If the bounced mail origin is from another ISP SMTP there is also a chance(less likely) that your machine is
infected as SMTP worm/Bot can make use of their own SMTP engines on your machine to send email on your behalf(email
address) to propagate or spam or launch a DoS attack. In this case you first need to clean your machine using AV.

3... If the bounced mail origin is from another ISP SMTP then it can also be(less likely if your email domain is not a
high profile one) that your email domain is a victim of backscatter attack where lot of mails are sent spoofing email
addresses from your email domain including your email address to target a lot of bounced messages to your email domain.
Your ISP needs to deploy countermeasures on their SMTP server to prevent such bounced messages from reaching you.

Sent in personal Capacity.
Regards,
Tariq Naik