Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Compromised email account?

From: Javier Bassi <javierbassi () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 23:23:52 -0300

After awaking this morning, I found my inbox riddled with failed delivery
notices from my service provider. Wierd thing is I haven't sent emails from
the address in weeks.
Does this mean my inbox has been compromised? If so, is there anything I can
do to reclaim it and maintain it without this issue occuring again?
Jacob.

This does not necessary mean that your email has been compromised
(although it is a valid option). What could have happened is that
someone sent  emails using your address and some random smtp. The
mails failed and then you received the mailer-daemon notifications.
Remember that you don't have to own an email address to send emails
from that address. The problem is if the recipient server accept your
emails (and for that we have SPF)

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1