Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Looking for information regarding the use of Skype in an Enterprise network

From: rohnskii () gmail com
Date: 7 Jan 2009 23:43:15 -0000

Interesting doc Shawn.

The title says V3 Dec 2006 - making it 2 years old!

The copyright at the bottom of the cover page is 2008.

And the footer has a 02/05/2008 datestamp.

But when I look at their site and the downloads specifically, there is no mention of versions numbers anywhere.  Not
good.

And to add insult to injury the site says:
<snip>
Free download, install, start using it. No IT consultants required.
</snip> http://www.skype.com/business/

As one of those IT people, I am concerned.  Not by job security, but by a company that encourages employees to violate
corporate policy and download and install "rogue" software.

The lack of external version numbers (there may be one in Help/About, I don't know) makes it very diffcult to track
version numbers.  Combined with their blatant encouragement of bad corporate behaviour makes me concerned about using
this tool in a corporate environment.