Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Looking for information regarding the use of Skype in an Enterprise network

From: krymson () gmail com
Date: 20 Jan 2009 19:16:09 -0000

Also of note, the Skype client user password is stored on clear text in memory. I first saw this in the latest Hakin9
issue. Here is the quick version:

http://secniche.org/skype_vul.html

Is that a big deal? If you have good physical security, perhaps not. But it might be enough to be annoyed that even
trusted admins can work late at night on a computer and glean an account whose password is likely the same as the
network one, and then your whole trust system breaks down internally...

Does this mean Skype sucks? Probably not, as I wonder (as the author does) whether other IM programs suffer the same
issue.