Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Looking for information regarding the use of Skype in an Enterprise network

From: "Roger Onken" <ronken () stein-industries com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 08:39:38 -0600

We evaluated Skype early in 2008 and decided against an
implementation.  We do a lot of business with the Far East,
where it is apparently widely used.  We were asked to
evaluate it again recently, and after reviewing some of the
tools available from Skype have decided to do a limited
implementation for select users.

Of critical importance is the ability to disable file
sharing and control setup using Group Policies.  Skype has
details on their site for helping secure the network
environment.

Roger Onken, GSEC
Stein Industries, Inc.