Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Looking for information regarding the use of Skype in an Enterprise network

From: "Steve Armstrong" <stevearmstrong () logicallysecure com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 18:44:55 -0000

Sam,

I think you may struggle, as if you have a good layer 7 firewall you will
not get it out to the internet as it does not follow the correct HTTPS
standards.

Therefore a good firewall will stop the outgoing connection.  This here is
an excerpt from a Skype Knowledgebase article regarding requirements to pass
Skype through firewalls (located at
http://support.skype.com/index.php?_a=knowledgebase&_j=questiondetails&_i=14
8):

        "The minimum requirement is that Skype needs unrestricted outgoing
TCP access to all destination ports above 1024 or to ports 80 and 443 (the
former is better, however). If you don't allow either of those, Skype will
not work reliably at all. Voice quality and some other aspects of Skype
functionality will be greatly improved if you also open up outgoing UDP
traffic to all ports above 1024, and allow UDP replies to come back in."

As this is a major security downgrade we have not been able to recommend it
to our clients.

HTH

Steve Armstrong

Logically Secure