Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Help with MS07-042 - will not seem to install on this one laptop

From: "Murda Mcloud" <murdamcloud () bigpond com>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 09:16:30 +1000

Error messages?

-----Original Message-----
From: listbounce () securityfocus com [mailto:listbounce () securityfocus com]
On Behalf Of Jeff Dinger
Sent: Wednesday, December 31, 2008 3:42 AM
To: security-basics () securityfocus com
Subject: Help with MS07-042 - will not seem to install on this one laptop

Hello the List!

  I happen to have a laptop, that does not seem to want to take the
automatic security update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service
Pack 2 (KB954430).   Several scanners confirms I still have this one
vulnerability left (I originally had 2), and went to the MS site, and
installed manually (and successfully) on patch that removed the twin
vulnerability, however this one remains.  Manually attempting to install
any of the other similar patches fails.

Any ideas what services might be running that would cause this not to
sync/apply? I'm actually considering asking MS for help, which I would
prefer not to do, simply b/c it'll waste 4 - 5 hours of my time doing
everything I've already done.

Thoughts?

Best Regards,
Jeff