Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Help on truecrypt recovery

From: Shailesh Rangari <shailesh.sf () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 21:14:34 -0500

In an earlier version of True Crypt their was a window of opportunity of recovering the key from the memory cause it wasn't wiped out after the initialization phase was completed. Now that this flaw has long been rectified, until such time that you recollect the key, your data is as good as lost forever.

Please check (http://computer.howstuffworks.com/encryption2.htm) to see an introductory discussion on how encryption works.

A Dictionary Attack on a 2^128 key space is impractical to think of with the limited computing resources one individual would have. Even Rainbow Tables may not be able to rescue you from your current dilemma. All known 'Theoretical Attacks' on 3-DES that may be termed 'Practical' as well end @ 2^56 key space.
AES, Twofish and Serpent would be different ball game altogether.

Good Luck,
Shailesh