Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Advice regarding servers and Wiping Drives after testing

From: "Craig Wright" <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 05:17:28 +1000

Hello,
I will do a longer write-up when I get to work, but this is a simple answer.

The hard drive heads can not reliably be used for this purpose. The error rate of mis-reads from firmware and system
errors is greater than that of head misallignment.

What you are suggesting is based on error analyslis. The read errors are not statistically significant and do not allow
this type of data reconstruction. White noice is always greater than recovery and there is no way to determine which
error is the "right" error.

This is compounded as the magnetic image is not just a single ghost, but there is one for each prior write. The field
strength is not lineraly related to the age of the overwrite and there is no distingiushing timestamp on a residual
magnetic trace. All bit correlations are probabilistic. See a paper I did for my SANS forensic cert for an example -
http://www.giac.net/certified_professionals/practicals/gcfa/265.php.

As I stated in an earlier post - there is an inverse exponential relaionship to recovery with the number or prior
writes - over the life of the drive. As stated - there is a small chance of recovery when a single file was copied and
a single delete was done. More is FUD.

By the way, a low level format is a write for the purpose of this. The burn in test is a prior write etc.

Now, if you can not do Multivariate Correlations by hand and do not kn ow what Bartett's Kolmogorov-Smirnov is, then I
suggest that you brush up math and engineering skills prior to issuing snake oil. This is what is required to do what
you are suggesting and it is not a topic most IT people seem to enjoy. I have tried doing presentations on these
issues, but the level of math knowledge is far to low these days.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Wright
Manager of Information Systems

Direct : +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au
+61 417 683 914

BDO Kendalls (NSW)
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO BOX 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
www.bdo.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential.  If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your
system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls.  It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects.  BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached.  A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au or by emailing administrator () bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities.