Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Why isn't full disk encryption from manufactures a slam dunk?

From: gjgowey () tmo blackberry net
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 20:10:48 +0000

Just the problem of allowing third party access and other needed policies in an enterprise environment.  Realistically,
what I would like to see someone make is a raid controller that does transparent encryption and decryption on the fly
that can be configured to either use x509 certs or regular password encryption.  that would solve a lot of headaches
for nas, san, and server installations. I wonder if any vendors here could do that.  Now if you want a slam dunk for
workstations make a similar card that sits between that hdd controller and the hdd (of course that would require scsi,
sata, and pata versions).  That would completely simplify full disk encryption.

Geoff

Sent from my BlackBerry wireless handheld.