Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Advice regarding servers and Wiping Drives after testing

From: "William Holmberg" <wholmberg () amdpi com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 11:18:39 -0500

Dave,
<Note- the links from your page on Infragard "Zip | PPT | Handout PDF |
CD Active Links PDF" Do not work, although Mr. Bejtlich's links do- I'd
like to get your data for future classes>

I looked up my notes on that day, to verify my memories of the
presentation, and to answer your question...

Well, yes and no...
The first example, the instructor clearly stated that the drive had been
overwritten 0's, and supposedly recovered a file in the lab (the
recovery process was not shown), in this case a .jpg which was partially
(3/4's)viewable. He remarked the technique would remain undisclosed, but
that it was time intensive and expensive, yet still used regularly. He
did not say it wasn't ESM either, so perhaps that is what it was. I
paraphrase him by the quote "Even when the drive has been overwritten
with 1's and Zeroes we can often get evidence with this new procedure".
Frankly, I remember him saying it having something to do with magnetic
signatures, differentiation and time (age) of magnetic signatures, if
that makes sense.

The second example the drive was formatted and partitions deleted, and
data was recovered successfully on that example, but there was a third
demonstration where some files that were overwritten with another type
of file, and it was presented to us (understand, we were viewing the
process remotely, and there was no way for me personally to verify
exactly what was really occurring on the other end, but we had no reason
to doubt the veracity of the claims) that the overwritten files were
recovered immediately after the overwrite. I do remember that I had
questions about that particular procedure because in that case the
computer had not been restarted, but was still running. I had thought
perhaps some NVRAM or swap file was involved in the recovery, but time
did not permit us to ask all the questions I and the attendees had for
the team presenting. The examiners referred to the users method as a
virtual "flashpaper" technique where a small directory was overwritten
with other innocuous files by the suspect through a software package
which responded to a Hotkey.

We were also given the impression that the third recovery technique was
quite new, perhaps even experimental, and that the types of files
recovered were limited by both their type as well as the types of files
replacing/overwriting the existing files. I was told it had something to
do with the way the files were altered which allowed restructuring of
what had changed, but there were no technical specifics given.

I'm sorry I don't have more on it. If we are successful in getting more
funding for the DOJ classes I will press the issue in the next semester
with others involved to see if I can get some more specific info on
those aspects.

Specifically though, you are correct that in the formatted example, the
drive had not been "shredded" and completely overwritten with a program
intended to subvert any recovery, although the examiner did allude to it
being "extremely more difficult" once that was done, though the
implication was that it was not impossible. He also did show how to tell
that certain programs had been used (on another drive) to totally remove
potential evidence, which was also interesting, and sounds like it is
similar to what your class accomplished in San Diego.

So, specifically, Ansgar is likely quite correct that in a case where
the drive has been shredded by overwriting in that manner that no data
can be recovered easily- but we were given the impression that it had
just been done, though it was possible that was a limited ESM method.

I do not claim personal expertise in this area, as I mentioned, but I do
believe that most people in the class came away with the impression that
it could be done, but there was mention of a cost to benefit ratio, and
even admissibility of the evidence. For instance, if the drive was
purchased as a refurbished drive from any vendor, it is likely the
agencies would rarely try to ESM for evidence because no matter how
successful they may be, a shrewd lawyer could quite easily get a jury to
have reasonable doubts about where the data recovered actually came
from.

I will ask our director to reschedule this presentation again and be
sure to ask some more pertinent questions next time to see where exactly
the parameters of the presentation begin and end. If there are other
definitive articles, etc. you all know of, please let me know as I would
love to expand on this topic in the classes. Perhaps we could even setup
a remote presentation with some of you- though I warn you the class pays
poorly!
:0)
All the best,
Bill