Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Advice regarding servers and Wiping Drives after testing

From: gjgowey () tmo blackberry net
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 17:52:18 +0000

What you're forgetting is that these pieces of software aren't you normal "access the hdd through regular os calls".
These pieces of software are sending low level commands to the drive its self an interpreting what's sent back instead
of relying on a middle layer.  They can literally have the head scan a particular sector as many times as is needed
until it gets a signal back that resembles something useable.  Writing all 0's will never prevent against software
recovery because the all 0's approach is like recording over a used VCR tape once.

Geoff

Sent from my BlackBerry wireless handheld.