Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Advice regarding servers and Wiping Drives after testing

From: "Craig Wright" <Craig.Wright () bdo com au>
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 08:43:51 +1000

Hello,
"Do you mean to say that there is no way to negate a magnetic signature on any surface? Can you explain?"

No, I mean that negating a field will not supply the prior field, it will make a zero.

"If you felt those ideas are impossible, fine- perhaps you could explain why you believe they are currently not
possible, so the rest of us can better enjoy the richness of your thoughts. Merely shouting "impossible"
and waving your degree in the air is generally insufficient to convince anyone on these lists that you are correct.
Also, claiming you can pee farther than someone usually means you intend to show them you can. So please elucidate on
why they couldn't have invented an electronic device that allows something similar to what I have (poorly, I am sure)
outlined."

I believe that I did. However, as soon as I try to explain this using the terms that apply, people start to not
understand as they do not have the knowledge of the underlying subject material. If it is not on Wiki - it seems that
many IT people do not understand it. This is also not a currently not possible, it is a not possible. Next, you are
stating a possibility. It is for you to provide proof not for me to disprove - see scientific principle.

As to why what you have outlines is impossible, Stochastic distribution of magnetic fields.

See the following papers:
Prof. Dr. sc. nat. Lutz Schimansky-Geier (2007) "Stochastic dynamics and electromagnetic fields of confined random
charges: from distribution to control" Institut für Physik Theoretische Physik (Stochastische Prozesse)

De Angelis, G F et al (1982) "A stochastic description of a spin-1/2 particle in a magnetic field" J. Phys. A: Math.
Gen. 15 2053-2061   doi:10.1088/0305-4470/15/7/016

White, R B et al (1993) "Collisionless transport in a stochastic magnetic field"  Plasma Phys. Control. Fusion 35
595-599   doi:10.1088/0741-3335/35/5/005

Hentschke, S.; Rohrer, S.; Reifschneider, N.(1996) "Stochastic magnetic field micro-sensor" ASIC Conference and
Exhibit, 1996. Proceedings., Ninth Annual IEEE International Volume , Issue , 23-27 Sep 1996 Page(s):11 - 14
Digital Object Identifier   10.1109/ASIC.1996.551952

If I state, "stochastic magnetic fields follow a binomial PDF" do you understand what I have stated?

So yes I state it is FUD. It is FUD Bill, as the paper that you referred to has no scientific basis in reality.
However, without some foundation in MCMC (Markov chain Monte Carlo) and other stochastic methods, there is no way to
prove this. It is not a matter of arguing the point based on hypothesis from rhetoric. This is a matter of mathematical
proof.

Read the papers attached and do some research into Stochastic magnetic field theory and then you may understand why the
proposed field negation strategy is FUD.

Regards,
Craig

Craig Wright
Manager of Information Systems

Direct : +61 2 9286 5497
Craig.Wright () bdo com au
+61 417 683 914

BDO Kendalls (NSW)
Level 19, 2 Market Street Sydney NSW 2000
GPO BOX 2551 Sydney NSW 2001
Fax +61 2 9993 9497
www.bdo.com.au

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation in respect of matters arising within
those States and Territories of Australia where such legislation exists.

The information in this email and any attachments is confidential.  If you are not the named addressee you must not
read, print, copy, distribute, or use in any way this transmission or any information it contains.  If you have
received this message in error, please notify the sender by return email, destroy all copies and delete it from your
system.

Any views expressed in this message are those of the individual sender and not necessarily endorsed by BDO Kendalls.
You may not rely on this message as advice unless subsequently confirmed by fax or letter signed by a Partner or
Director of BDO Kendalls.  It is your responsibility to scan this communication and any files attached for computer
viruses and other defects.  BDO Kendalls does not accept liability for any loss or damage however caused which may
result from this communication or any files attached.  A full version of the BDO Kendalls disclaimer, and our Privacy
statement, can be found on the BDO Kendalls website at http://www.bdo.com.au or by emailing administrator () bdo com au.

BDO Kendalls is a national association of separate partnerships and entities.