Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: RE: CISSP Question

From: "Yousef Syed" <yousef.syed () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 15:25:47 +0100

Unfourtunately, HR is usually, the First-line in the recruitment
process... If you don't get past them, you're unlikely to see a real
manager.
That is usually the case with the larger corporations.

It is one of the reasons that I prefer contract work to becoming a
direct hire. I can comfortably get contract work with large corps
without ever going through an HR interview.
I've never had trouble getting work when I'm being hired directly by
the manager for whom I'll be working. If that manager has a technical
background it is even easier because then you can talk-shop with them,
too. :)
We had one situation some years ago, where myself, my colleagues and
the senior manager all loved a particular candidate, but when the guy
had the HR interview, they didn't want him!?!?! That is patently
ridiculous; but it is the kind of power that HR departments wield!

I'll leave you with the quote below:
-->
"Human Resources people are useless. They are laughable. Lazy.
Ignorant of the businesses they work in, irrelevant, a waste of
shareholders' money, unprofessional. They are pretentious, are poor
communicators and spend too much time in unprofitable navel-gazing.
They hinder managers from doing their jobs ... " Said Lucy Kellaway in
the FT on 16/12/2001.
<--

ys

On 10/05/07, David Harley <david.a.harley () gmail com> wrote:
> The point is that MOST of HR people in today's businesses are
> not much into the business they run, i mean, when they
> interview a security manager they don't discuss in depth
> issues, they just look at their certs. the rest are
> complementaries. If the interviewer liked you, you're in,
> otherwise you're out.

A worrying thought. I'd hope that most businesses wouldn't base their
assessment of a candidate's suitability purely on the prejudices of someone
from HR, but I dare say it happens. :(

--
David Harley CISSP, Small Blue-Green World
Security Author/Editor/Consultant/Researcher

--
Yousef Syed
"To ask a question is to show ignorance; not to ask a question, means