Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Different terms for the same or more secure?

From: "Brian Loe" <knobdy () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:39:31 -0500

What is wanted for a definition exactly? I believe I've given the
definition on a couple of occassions:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VLAN
Of import:
"Early network designers often configured VLANs with the aim of
reducing the size of the collision domain in a large single Ethernet
segment and thus of improving performance. When Ethernet switches made
this a non-issue (because they have no collision domain), attention
turned to reducing the size of the broadcast domain at the MAC layer.
Virtual networks can also serve to restrict access to network
resources without regard to physical topology of the network, although
the strength of this method remains debatable as VLAN Hopping is a
common means of bypassing such security measures."

On 9/12/06, David Gillett <gillettdavid () fhda edu> wrote:
> NO ONE has answered the simple initial question of what is
> a VLAN?

  A SWITCH is a box with a bunch of interfaces and a MAC address
table.  For each incoming packet, it records in the table that it
has seen that packet's source MAC address show up at interface X,
and consults the table to see what interface Y it has seen the
destination MAC address from -- if the destination MAC address
isn't in the table, it forwards the packet to all interfaces
except X.  [There's a bit more to it -- spanning tree to detect
and break loops, tools for manually seeding the table, and so on.]